View Single Post
Unread 03/08/2018, 08:51 PM   #1
Itchy Trigger
Registered Member

Catching Fish in a Big Tank with Lots of Epoxied Rockwork

I'm about to post an "Out of the Hobby" sale post in Buy/Sell, as I've finally decided it's time to let go of this hobby that's held my attention for 20+ years (marine tanks for the past 5). But I'm dreading the thought of having to catch fish in the 330g tank. The tank is 36" tall, and sits on a rather tall stand too. In order to catch fish with a net, you'd need to stand on a step ladder, so this is difficult - can't move from one side to another with anything resembling speed. There's also a lot of rockwork in the tank, and it's epoxied together, so fish have plenty of places to hide where I simply can't get at them...

So I'm looking for ideas on how best to catch fish without simply trying to snap them up in a net. I've seen traps advertised, which I suppose might work for small fish, but it seems like an iffy way to catch a 10" French angelfish. I've also thought about baiting a hook (with a crushed/filed down barb) and catching them that way. Does anyone here have any ideas or advice? Thanks in advance...