View Single Post
Unread 07/20/2015, 08:21 AM   #23
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiTr0x911 View Post
Hi Ron,Interested in both but my Wife will enjoy the Rock Turning option better.When I lived in West Palm I remember taking our jet ski to an Indian Historic Island I believe off Islamorada? This trip down would want to go off the shore.Thanks!
Do you mean go snorkeling off the shore or go 'off shore' as in out to the big reef?

I'm going to assume you mean snorkel off the beach. Bahia Honda State Park is the very best I've been to for seeing good stuff and being able to touch and play with the critters (but no collecting). Rent a kayak there and take it out to Little Bahia Honda and there are tons of things too see. Especially if you want to look under rocks! And having been there a lot, we are looking for new sites to try if anybody has any alternatives? Two issues to be aware of: visibility and tides.

Visibility: If there is (or was yesterday) a strong onshore wind to the oceanside of the island, visibility will be reduced. If the winds are making the oceanside too rough, try the other side of the island. Especially at the eastern side of the outlet from the marina. Everybody stays in the swimming area to the west side. But with a diver down flag you'll be OK off the other side. It's a small area and I only recommend it as a 'last resort' if conditions are bad out on the oceanside. The other alternative is the next island down, Spanish Harbor Key at the 'Horseshoe' which is an old quarry. You can see it on the 2nd aerial photo in Post #3. The rubble all around the outside is interesting, tons of rocks to look under and you can legally collect if you want. Also, directly over the other side of the island from the Horseshoe is kind of like the oceanside at Bahia Honda. Not as big and not as diverse, but pretty good, less people, free and just a walk over the highway and down the hill. Water entry can be a bit tricky with rocks and holes.

Tides: We have seen people kayak out to Little Bahia Honda almost every time we have been there (once or twice a year). But be aware of the tides as getting back to shore on an out going tide can be a fairly hard paddle. Also, snorkeling at the SW end of the island in either tide can be a lot of work. Trying to catch it an hour before high tide or low tide gives you a couple of hours of fairly comfortable water conditions. Tides and wind have very little effect on conditions at the Horseshoe because it's pretty well protected.

I know where Indian Key is and we have wondered if it would be worth going out to take a look. Can you give us any idea of what it was like there? There are several other near shore Keys in the area like Lignmvitae Key Teatable Key, Shell Key, Cotton Key, or just outside of Long Key Bight. Has anybody ever snorkeled any of these sites or know of any other good beach or near shore snorkel sites?