View Single Post
Unread 08/25/2016, 10:02 AM   #213
Subsea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
When I started my reef the only book available was Robert Straughn's "The Salt Water Aquarium in the Home" which I think I still have. In there someplace (it could have been another publication at the time as my 50 year old memories faded substantially) he advised adding garden soil to start the tank. I don't remember if I ever did this and have no idea if that would have any benefits but even though I use a lot of strange methods the thought of that does scare me a little.
I realize many people don't live near the sea. I don't know why not, but that is a fact.
I know they sell bacteria in a bottle which I feel is silly but it would be nice if someone (not me) sold and shipped fresh mud from some clean, muddy bay like from where I live. It is probably not legal because some congressman will say if you do that you may get a batch of invasive arrow crabs in Arizona or an octopus plague in Lake Titicoca. (wherever that is)

My first book was written by Martin Moe a PHD Microbiologist, he said in the early 1960's, "it is not Rocket science, it is more complicated".

Current Tank Info: 10,000G. Greenhouse Macro Growout
Subsea is offline   Reply With Quote