View Single Post
Unread 02/04/2010, 09:19 AM   #40
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy One View Post
Everything looks really nice so far, I always wondered what my tank would look like with some vho's added to the Mh'ds.
If I may make a suggestion on the sump, you might want to add some type of baffling between the socks and the skimmer, from experience once the socks become dirty they will tend to flow over the top of the socks causing microbubbles in the sump and cause the skimmer to become erratic possibly.
Then that might cause those bubbles to make it up to the tank.

BTW did you remove the eggcrate on the bottom from the first time, if so did you see a build up of detritus under the rockwork now?

Keep up the good work. oh one more thing the valimgi and unicorn tangs will probably gorw to over a foot in about a year.
Thanks for the advice. There will be a fair amount of live rock between the socks and skimmer and I should have enough sock between the four 7" socks to last about 7-10 days between swaps. I picked up a case of 60 socks so I can swap as needed. I might also make some removable baffles if needed with acrylic if that becomes a problem. One other thing I did was to make all the air trap/baffles in the exit boxes of both sumps removable in case I need to make adjustments to their height. The baffles will slide into slots in the boxes.

As for the egg crate and detritus. There was none as I had a PVC manifold onder the rocks with holes drilled in it connected to my return pump which entered through the overflow. That kept constant flow under the rocks and pushed any sediment towards the glass. I still have the manifold under the rocks. Just no egg crate. If you look under the rocks (the pics dont show it) the flow has actually kept the sand out from under them.

Vlamingis over a foot in a year. I hope not!! That would be way to big. From my experience with other large fish such as sharks, the enviornment has a bit to do with the size potential of the fish.. I will admit that these are my first vlamingis so I dont really have any experience with them. My hope would be that the tank will help to keep them from growing too big to fast. Granted my tank is big by most standards but its not like they have a whole reef to them selves. The tank they came out of had them in it for a year or so and they didnt grow that much in that system but it was a much smaller footprint too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro4kthompson View Post
Nice tank. I saw the LA Fishguys episode with this and was suitable impressed. I can't wait to see the sump installed. I love the Yorkie skimmer too.
Thanks.. Cant wait to get the new sumps in either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax View Post
Ha! I thought I saw the tail of a third sea monster in there. Good thing you have the foot print to enjoy them for a while. Just love big vlamingis they are like lap dogs of the reef personality wise. Too bad they need huge tanks like this to even be considered.
I got the Vlamingis about a month ago. They certainly do have personality. They are very sociable. They will follow you around the tank and love to be hand fed. Then again, most of my other fish will follow you around too. In the system they came out of, they would come to the surface and let you pet them!

I think the fish with the most personality in my tank thus far would have to be the long horn cow fish. He is funny. He will get into the current of the sea swirls and surf in it. Whats really funny is when he chases you around the tank. The little guy can pick up some speed when he wants to.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 02/04/2010 at 09:33 AM.
slief is offline   Reply With Quote