View Single Post
Unread 03/13/2008, 08:58 AM   #13
Amoore311
Registered Member

Quote:
the return pump i have is a mag 9.5. dont let anyone tell you that that is to big of a pump for you setup. when picking a pump always go a little bigger than you need,why you ask
1. although im strictly against it you can throttle down the pump you pick with a gate valve/ball valve.
2. also you can tee off of your return to run stuff like a phosban reactor, i have two running off of mine and they work perfect.
If you aren't going to power anything off the return pump I would go with the Mag 7.

Should you choose to upgrade the return pump cost is pretty minimal in the whole scheme of things.

Also, once you get above the Mag7, the larger pumps tend to put a lot of heat into the tank. This might not be a problem with your set up, but then again you could run into heat problems depending on what other equipment you decide to run.

I am building up the same exact tank as you are except mine as black trim.

I'm running a 39ish Gallon Sump with a central return area. This way I can keep the flow to the fuge slow, and keep the skimmer section fed with the majority of the drain water.

I also will be running a carbon and phosban reactor. I power them with maxi-jet powerheads. I run a Maxi900 throttled back to like 80-85% for the carbon. And a Maxi600 almost wide open for the Phosban.

Amoore311 is offline   Reply With Quote