View Single Post
Unread 01/10/2013, 09:19 AM   #24
iced98lx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgok View Post
Not to be too picky or anything, but you should not be using an acid based flux for wires or electronics in general.

What sensor is that? And did you assemble the probe end your self or get it ready made? I put some ds18b20 sensors on the ends of 3.5mm jack stereo cables, into 316 stainless caps (from home brewing supply places) and filled them up with epoxy. As a strain relief and a little extra water proofing i put glue coated shrink tubes over half the cap and onto the wire a good inch or so. Came out like this:

First and foremost, yes, Acid based flux should not be used with any wires or electronics in general, it's sitting there because I emptied a basket of %#&*( onto my desk.

The sensor is a DS18B20 - I bought it with the probe end assembled from sparkfun. I spent a little more but I didn't mind the piece of mind knowing it's sealed by someone other than me.

The wiring end of things is obviously not done, as nothing could live in a marine environment as it sits. I'll be working out a 1 wire hub for the 3 or so temp probes I'll have total, and a use some sort of proper connector (3.5mm jacks have been strongly considered).

Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate it!

iced98lx is offline   Reply With Quote