View Single Post
Unread 06/10/2018, 10:02 PM   #1
incloud
Registered Member

Red Sea Reefer 450 Setup

I just got the deal of a lifetime but at the same time the headache of a lifetime. I got a brand new Red Sea Reefer that has never seen water off of Craigslist. It was from someone who was obviously very serious about reefing. It came with bags and boxes full of equipment that is mostly brand new. The lighting system is all custom LED's and Drivers, it has a Bubble Magus Curve 9 Skimmer, what I believe is a Bubble Magus Kalk Stirrer, an Algae Scrubber, and all sorts of random reefing equipment. Unfortunately, I am not sure what it all is or how to put it together. I've been watching videos and slowly going through the parts and plumbing to make sense of it all but was in hopes that you guys here at the Reef Tank may be able to help me get this sorted. I'd like to avoid spending wasted money on what I think I need and get what is actually needed.

Once the main components are discovered my dilemma is that I just recently plumbed my 65 gallon reef tank into the basement with a 150 gallon stock tank as a sump. My intentions were to have a custom tank built and upgrade from my 65 to a 120-150 in the same spot and replace the 65. I couldn't pass this deal up, it would have been absolutely foolish of me. That said, I have now decided to have the 450 as a second tank in my living room. I know the Red Sea Reefer series is great but I'm in a toss up of integrating the 450 into my new sump system or to run it on its own. Running it separate would of course be the easiest solution but it would be a waste of all my efforts in building my sump system in the basement. Not to mention water changes, additional equpiment (top off and such) would be a hassle and added expense. The 450 is at the opposite side of my house versus the new basement system. I'm trying to figure out whether I should run a separate pump from the sump or T off of the existing pump. I am only using the pump at 40% of its power right now but am not sure how it would do pushing 2 returns. Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure more information will be necessary to really see what is going on and I'm going to make a video showing my current setup along with the system i am trying to accomplish. I am looking very much forward to this and just want to be sure and do it right. Thanks so much in advance for any and all replies on this matter, I truly appreciate it!

incloud is offline   Reply With Quote