View Single Post
Unread 10/18/2003, 05:47 AM   #11
Putawaywet
20 and over club

One of the things I noticed about my existing algae filter is that the eggcrate under the algae screens became packed with bristle worms, sponges and tube worms. So, taking some cues from Steve Tyree and his research with cryptic zones, I decided to modify my Eco-Wheel somewhat (Apparently, I just can’t leave well enough alone) by installing several stacked layers of black eggcrate in the lower portion of the filter. The exterior of the acrylic cabinet was then painted black to reduce light imput, and a special plastic woven material called “Matala” was installed in the very bottom of the filter. It is my hopes that the Matala will function as a refuge and aid in the cultivation of Zooplankton, and the eggcrate will provide a surface for filter feeders to settle. I’m not sure this is exactly what Steve had in mind when he described a “high flow, filter feeder zone” in his book, but I had to work within the confines of the unit’s design, and this is what I was able to come up with.

If it works, I’ve got a functioning POM (particulate organic matter) filter. If it doesn’t, I’ve got a giant detritus magnet.

I guess only time will tell.

Putawaywet is offline   Reply With Quote