View Single Post
Unread 02/18/2011, 08:32 PM   #113
srusso
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by importspeedman View Post
hi
I am about to build an ats for a 140gal freshwater cichlid tank. I will be making a box for it and a doubled up screen and t5 lighting. I am curious to know if it is ok to use 4 t5 bulbs on one side and 2 on the other side of the ats, or would this end up giving me problems in the future?
I am trying to build this thing as close as I can to the suggested specs but its kinda difficult to do and keep as efficient as possible. I dont wanna run any more than six bulbs.
Thanks
Rich
What it will do is create more growth on one side then the other. Could three lights be used on each side? If you must have an uneven lighting on each side, then I may suggest that you do something that in theroy should work. I have not tested this in any way and I invite other more expriranced builders to comment on this... My advise is to build an oversized screen, and clean one side once a week. The side that remains untouched for the week is the one with only two lights. After cleaning the side that had four bulb growth for the week. Flip the screen and allow the two bulb side to grow for a week in the four bulb side.

That make sense?
Whatever you build please post build and results here, we will be happy to help in any way we can.

Cichlid tanks tend to be very crowded anyway so an oversized scrubber maybe recommended. How many fish in the 140G?

Should be an interesting build, keep us updated.

Basics Write Up - Post #1 | Quick Troubleshooting - Post #1902 | Alternate/Updated Sizing - Post #2723 | Latest Summary - Post #3251 - #3264
srusso is offline   Reply With Quote