View Single Post
Unread 01/08/2009, 09:10 PM   #53
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kshack
A little help please.
I have a 250 gal tank with the overflow box and two drains just like you have. Currently have Durso type and basement sump. Bought new house and am in the middle of moving the tank. I can drill another hole for the three return system, but here is my current situation/ problem. Tank will be in theater room, and sump will be in room next to tank (large storage room). Idea is for return to go down under the floor, lateral either 10 or 15 feet (prefer the 15 foot side of the room) and then back up through floor to the sump located on the floor. I was thinking I would come into the sump with an open "T" to allow air to escape, but not sure how big I need the drain pipe to be (currently have 1.5 inch spaflex).
Will it work? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Ken
The siphon will work just fine once it gets started. It may be hard to purge all of the air from it though (it could in theory air lock). The open channel will not work as expected, as it relys on the free fall of water and air.

Now, that is not to say that your setup will not work quietly. The water will collect on the bottoms of the standpipes at the level of the sumps surface.

Sorry I don't have a better answer, but your setup is going to take some trial and error to get silent and a lot depends on your target flow rate.

BeanAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote