View Single Post
Unread 03/04/2016, 11:55 AM   #19
jason2459
Registered Member

Need to get this thread updated. The past week I've been nailing down procedures to be able to consistently be able to test various brands of salt.

I started with this concept

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post

I'm getting this ready to start testing a bunch of saltmix brands. I guess kind of like a saltmix shootout.

1000ml class b graduated cylinder

Hydor Pico pump to mix and pulls from the bottom

Just to check and adjust temp a super cheap digital thermometer but has always been consistent. I remember it being ever so slightly high. Double checked to night with a quick ice water test.

And I'll be targeting 25C. As from late fall to early spring my house is around 65-68F. But late spring to early fall could be around 80F. I figured 77F/25C is a good middle ground I can easily adjust to.

And a super easy way for me to adjust temp hotter or colder.... My kitchen sink. I just filled it with warmer water. In hotter temps I'll fill it with colder water.

Then I'll use my pin point salinity probe to monitor when I hit the desired levels of 35ppt or 1.0264. And use my veegee refractometer as a cross check as well. I'll calibrate or at least check both for calibration before hand.

I figure I'll try and calculate what the manufacturer suggests to get to that salinity level in 1000ml and make note of how much was actually needed or if it exactly as indicated.

Then I will test for Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium using Salifert kits.

But 1L proved to be to small a volume. So, moved up to 2 gallons and that seems to have done it.

My process going forward will be to check for calibration or calibrate if required both my veegee/vitalsine refractometer and pin point salinity probe.

Bring 2 gallons of RODI water up to 25C

Place in pin point probe and Pico pump

Thoroughly mix the dry salt mix.

Slowly add in salt over 1 hour period to 35ppt. Mix dry salt between 1/4 cup scoops.

Once 35ppt is reached wait 45 minutes.

Take Alkalinity, Calcium, and Mg Tests all with Salifert kits.

IO over several tests using that procedure has tested very consistent to

Alkalinity: 10.9-11.2
Calcium: 405-410
Mg: ~1275

This is from 1 bag. There can be variations from bag to bag of course but I would feel comfortable saying the 2009 results are still correct for at least IO. I have also sent a sample off to Triton to cross check my results.

I would also say it's safe to say one can expect IO mixed to 35ppt to get around
Alk: 11dKH
Calcium: 400
Mg: 1300

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote