View Single Post
Unread 09/17/2012, 05:37 PM   #16
coralreefdoc
Moved On

Guys. It is of my opinion you are reading ( or not specifically actually ) too much into this dosing of Nitrates, in liquid form, phenomena.

The best/least complicated, and likely most enjoyable, way to supplement NO3s, in order to more efficiently lower PO4 in a system highly capable of processing these extra nutrients, is to elevate the biological load via increasing the number/density of fishes ...

*In a responsible, knowledgable fashion ! I cannot stress this enough !

While Im no longer intimately knowledgable on the specific details of Freshwater Planted products, I would imagine Seachems' Flourish additive is likely to contain elevated levels of Fe along with NO3. While the lack of knowledge on the original topic is apparent, despite some thoughts/comments assuming otherwise, Id imagine I dont need to go into specifics on the negative aspects of overdosing Fe and/or NO3 ...

More relative/useful for the "ADVANCED" practice of dosing NO3s to lower PO4s would be a concentrated, highly pure form of KNO3 ... Especially in a bacterioplankton driven system where unsupplemented K values can/will get depleted to the point their surpressed levels become detrimental to the more sensitive sleractinian organisms, specifically species in the genus Acropora.

*Again, I cannot stress enough the importance of FULLY understanding/contemplating these advanced topics before their application !

This topic, as a whole, isnt one youre going to be able to successfully grasp and implement hastily, especially through the use of "wikipedia" or any other shallow, unprofound source(s) of information on these subject(s)

coralreefdoc is offline   Reply With Quote