View Single Post
Unread 04/29/2003, 04:35 PM   #12
cratylus
Registered Member

I have no "cleaner animals" in the tank and have added nothing by way of chemicals, water changes, etc. to the tank within the last 3 weeks. I know introducing the Cuban Hog about a week ago is what started the ich problem.

As far as preparation goes, I have a Jamaican ginger root I got from the produce section of the local supermarket. Of course, I cleaned it very well before preparing it. All I do is grate it with a very fine-bladed cheese grater. I get about ¼ tsp. of ginger powder and mix it up with my own fish food concoction (mixture of raw oyster, raw shrimp, three kinds of algae, krill, and marine flake that has been somewhat liquefied in a blender). I take the ¼ teaspoon of ginger and add it to 1 tablespoon of my fish food mixture and mix it up thoroughly. Then I just dump it in the tank like a normal feeding.

By the way, Bruddah Chrispy, that's what initially got me thinking about the ginger as a potential remedy. It was one of those "Aha!" moments of inspiration that hit you out of the blue. I have read all about the medicinal benefits for people and I thought it would be worth a try on my fish. Ginger is extremely high in vitamins B3 and B5, both responsible for cellular and tissue regeneration. In addition, clinical tests on the various compounds in ginger have shown them to have antiviral, antifungal, antibacterial, and antimicrobial results. The oil in ginger has also been shown to prevent skin cancer and cure skin infections in lab rats.