View Single Post
Unread 02/15/2011, 09:43 PM   #4
srusso
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvacman250 View Post
I have a few questions and comments, and please don't take some of them as an attack. I am trying to learn and critique...
None Taken

Quote:
1. Why is the area underneath your scrubber so filthy? The pump area and tank are free of algae, but the scrubber area looks like a cess pool. Is this from algae breaking off? Is this normal?
That algae grows from the extra light into the sump, I have never once cleaned the sump of the tank, I feel that it (the algae) helps breed pods, mysis and other critters, they live well and undisturbed.

Quote:
2. You write-up was awesome, but I think your price is a little misleading. I started my ATS 2 days ago. By the time I bought 2 26 W CFLs, 2 reflectors, a timer, PVC fittings, PVC pipe, tubing, screen, and a MaxiJet 1200, my total was between $75-80.
Price can very, I got my lights for $6 dollars each, your screen price is accurate, and PVC is cheap, I got a 10 footer for my tank for $10 at homedepot. Still using it up from when I pumped the tank... I should add that I added two additional drop lights a couple of weeks back for some each growth, one on each side.

Quote:
3. You might want to be more specific about the "canvas". I got mine at Hobby Lobby. It came in different sizes. I bought a 10.5"x13.5" piece for $0.49.
Its plastic canvas that can be purchased at most hobby stores, like Joanne's and Michael's. I its used for knitting, it looks like a plastic mesh screen.

Quote:
Again, I applaud your contributions to the forum. Please dont take my comments as a slam!
No slam, thanks. I hope we can clarify things for people

Quote:
I started mine 2 days ago and have ZERO green on my screen. By the rules, I should be fine, but please critique mine in case I missed something:

40 BR, ATS lit on ONE side, so I did 8" W x 12" long = 96 square inches
2 26W CFLs in a dome reflector, 4-5" from surface = 52 W