View Single Post
Unread 01/08/2019, 03:08 PM   #10134
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
Compare this with a system that has already been running a scrubber for a long time, and then something happens that mandates replacing the screen. This new screen skips right over all the startup phases and goes straight to bushy thick GHA.

I've also seen this happen on tanks that haven't ever ran a scrubber, so there must be some condition that is favorable to algae scrubber growth.
Yes, I've had this happen on my tank, & i've seen a system never having algae filtration get just Ulva growing on a screen& nothing else from the beginning. From my experience I put it down to not using any blue light, just red? Anecdotal of course, but I first ran a horizontal screen / tub style scrubber back in the 1990s & used a warm fluro tubes for illumination. All sorts of 'stuff' grew on that screen, not really what you'd want for algae filtration.

Quote:
I've seen it take 4-6 months for a scrubber to really take off, but when it does, it maintains that stride with very little interaction.
Yes it certainly can take some time for the screen to get to where you want it. This is why I found it hard to believe that a screen could get to the same stage in 13 days, as suggested in that thread on the other forum.

Like you said, it can take time, but once a screen matures there seems to be little problems from then on. At worst, growth may slow at times, but the algae just hangs in, stays green & healthy. I think this is an advantage over a fuge, & may be why some people have trouble growing chaeto. Where a scrubber screen just stays there until conditions become suitable for self seeding, chaeto just dies & then they buy more, it dies & they give up.

Quote:
Again, no studies targeting this. So up to this point, it's just a theory that seems to fit the facts. Gotta work with what I have
I came across this the other day. Haven't read it yet. You may have altready?
https://www.researchgate.net/publica...T_APPLICATIONS

Scrubber_steve is offline   Reply With Quote