View Single Post
Unread 07/17/2017, 01:05 PM   #27
choss
Registered Member

Update!

A few pics to lead off the day. Look what arrived recently…

Arrival of Profilux by choerenz, on Flickr

Just like Choss…

Made in Germany by choerenz, on Flickr

P4 Mega Set!

P4 Mega Set by choerenz, on Flickr

Man there are a lot of goodies…

Profilux 4 stuff by choerenz, on Flickr

And here is the brain and heart of the Choss system…

Power strip 5.0 by choerenz, on Flickr

Man this thing is serious looking. And not small either…

Water Bottle & power strip by choerenz, on Flickr

Ok so by now you know that I am going with the GHL Profilux as the brains of my system. I did a ton of research as this is the first controller I’ve ever gone with so I wanted to be certain. So why GHL you ask?

• Build quality & reliability – There were a ton of threads on the merits of both controllers. But in the end, the GHL guys were the happiest of the bunch. And I could not find a single “GHL failure” thread or post. I travel a lot and this was critical to me.

• Programming – I’ve read mostly how easy the GHL is to program. We shall see if this holds up!

• Customer service – this was actually the deciding factor. When I started my research, I sent emails in to both companies. I called Neptune several times to no avail. I kept getting caught in a circular conversation with a pretty unfriendly type on the other end, who just couldn’t connect me with the service rep who had reached out to me. With GHL different story. Vinny contacted me and the rest was history. Super friendly, great advice, and quick turnarounds on questions asked. I will be controlling devices on two levels in my house and he was able to help me figure out cables that I would need, etc. I believe these guys will be there if I have any issues. Not feeling that way about the Apex support. In any case, I’m sure they are both great products but this was the tie breaker for me.

• Cost – Apex was definitely cheaper for what I wanted to do. But in the end, I have already invested heavily in the tank, furniture build, equipment, and not to mention the future investment in corals. I made a commitment to excellence in build and equipment selected so $100 or so more wasn’t an issue for me.

Can't wait to hook this all up. Patience....

Reef Savvy 96 Gallon Rimless Tank - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2643140

Current Tank Info: Reef Savvy 96
choss is offline   Reply With Quote