View Single Post
Unread 11/28/2007, 08:34 PM   #89
hahnmeister
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by KenStanley
I'm not sure if I'll get yelled at for posting in the wrong forum or not but I'm gonna chance it.

I'm thinking I want to get rid of my traditional wood hood and go with so kind of more modern fixture. My theory is that the hood is just holding in way my more heat than an open top would. I run a chiller but......... I think it would run less with an open system.

I'm looking of some suggestions currently I'm running 2 -250W MH 10,000K and 4- 48"VHOs. If anyone has any thoughts or experience I'd love to read it.
You wont get yelled at for posting here, but posting 3x in a row... now you're gonna get it.

A hood CAN trap heat in, or with proper ducting and airflow, it can help direct airflow better across the surface of the water and lights to help cool it better than an open-top aquarium. Its all relative. You can have a hood which cools better than an open top, and the other way around.

What do you have in the way of fans on the tank right now?

One thing I would suggest is swapping out the VHO's for T5s... that will drop your wattage, and with blue+ bulbs, keep the same if not higher output. 10,000Ks have loads of actinic in their output already... what they need supplimented, if anything, is blue.

hahnmeister is offline   Reply With Quote