View Single Post
Unread 01/23/2017, 10:25 PM   #2152
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konadog View Post
nightOwl, if you look back on the first page, you'll see a few stands that are close to yours (including mine). I didn't use any corner bracing either, I just drilled into the stand to secure my cover. My stand was 60l x 30w x 40t, and I think the center gap was 36" wide, with 12" gaps on the sides. I used 2" tubing, and don't remember what gauge it was, but it wasn't thin. I think your split would be fine, but I would find a way to bolt it together once in place to keep things level.
Konadog - I looked back and your stand looked very very sturdy...lol. I will try to discus some options with the builder. Keep in mind I will also have a 3/4" sheet of plywood secured to to the stand. I am hoping that with the connection points along the horizontal seam and the sheet of plywood everything will remain level and secure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgok View Post
My C shaped idea was vertically stacked, which i am far more comfortable with than two cantilever ends on a horizontal set...

It would depend on the fastening how much strength you lose in that gap. Done right would mean putting in sleeves in the tube so you can actually tighten them without crushing it. Ideally fairly tight fitting so they don't have to just rely on friction to not slide off plane, maybe even pins or lips to help prevent it.
Gorgok - I was thinking about how the two pieces would be connected. I was thinking I would need multiple contact points but did not put it in my model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shown_nuff View Post
Nightowl,

Where are you located in Maryland? I live in Upper Marlboro but work by BWI Airport. If your don't mind, whom do you have making your stand? I am looking to have a steel stand built also and I do not know who to contact.
Shown_nuff - I am in Capitol Heights MD not too far from where you are. I think I am going to be having the guys over at
Capital Heights Iron Works
chironworks@gmail.com
(301)336-1127

do my stand. They seemed pretty reasonable for just the stand.

What size stand or tank are you looking to get?