Thread: Clam Death
View Single Post
Unread 04/20/2017, 02:06 PM   #30
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

There are not a lot of people who stop by to ask questions or post about a death, either. Of course message boards are horribly small sample sizes on both sides - people who use one side or the other are usually just trying to manipulate the point. However, when you take into account some of the very excellent stores near me who have had massive amount of clam deaths under LED and they have all subsided when they went back to MH tanks, then you start to wonder. Some of them won't even sell a maxima to a local with LED anymore. Proof no, but turning a blind eye doesn't help either. An observation about a few instances starts to turn into a pattern and then a pattern into a trend and then a trend into a study or some sort of increased awareness and then more can be learned from the observation.

I am not into parallel analogies or false equivalencies, but here one goes... you also see/saw one with LEDs and SPS where people said that they could grow whatever/whenever SPS and when you dig it, they end up being a lot of birdsnest, montis, etc. and usually very small and you rarely (not never, but rarely) see a tank full of big colonies of acropora under LED. A differentiation needed to be made that SPS did not always mean acropora and frags and not colonies This is another exception that needed some time to observe and some still argue that this does not happen. Your story and one that I saw on a TOTM a while back are the only instances where a high-light clam (crocea and maxima) are going after a year (and I assume growing), under LED - this compared with the dozens of failures. Now I know that crocea are not all that available anymore, but squamosa deaths are high too and that just stuns me since I have seen them kept under 2x PC lights for years and years.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote