View Single Post
Unread 03/09/2007, 01:53 PM   #54
Kalkbreath
Registered Member.

. [/B][/QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally posted by critterkeeper
Also copied from the other post:

Zoox aren't found in the bloodstream, they are kept in a specialized system of tubes called the zooxanthellal tubular system. And the gills don't let things "pass through their membranes". Particulates are sorted and passed to the labial palps, then ingested by the mouth, which leads to the stomach. Also, numerous studies have found phyto in their stomachs, as well as some other things, including zooplankton.

That's what they say , but I'm not so sure " they" understand what's really happening.
What do "they" say about how only SYMBIOTIC DINOFLAGELLATES (ZOOXANTHELLAE) are allowed to pass into the zooxanthellal tubular.
Whats to prevent other taken in algae from taking up residence inside the tubular system and out competing the zooxanthella?
For instance; how does a clam distinguish a regular dinoflagella from the a SYMBIOTIC DINOFLAGELLATES (ZOOXANTHELLAE) variety?
Only allowing this one species of Dino to enter the tubular vessels?
Most agree that the clam benefits off the byproducts {sugars} from the zooxanthella and this "fuel" is responsible for most of the clams respiration.
But what mechanism feeds the Zooxanthella? Various studies have shown that no chlorophyll decomposition products are found in any freshly prepared zooxanthellae preparations. So it seems that the zooxanthella dont directly fed on other Algae. This would surely seem to suggest that the clams' stomach is not directly responsible for feeding the zooxanthella .
It seem more likely that the clam is filtering anything it can out of the water and extracting ammonia to feed its zooxanthella.
When I walk out into the spring air during pollen season , I inadvertently take in a sizable amount of plant spores with my respiration. Could it be that a clam simply can t help but filter in plankton while it breaths. Even though it has no end use for the Plankton.
I think more complete examination of this complex feeding cycle needs to be conducted.

Kalkbreath is offline   Reply With Quote