View Single Post
Unread 05/21/2017, 05:46 AM   #22
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
Jason, I agree with you and all you have said here. But this comment is the one that hits home the most with me.

I think way too many people see higher resolution as the same thing as being more accurate.

It's kind of like the use of a refractometer over a hydrometer. I 'calibrated' 2 hydrometers to a calibrated refractometer some 5 or 6 years ago. Both hydrometers were not accurate. So I marked each with the error rate, one read 0.005 to low and the other was 0.003 to low. For several years I used the hydrometers and every 3 or 4 months I'd double check them with a freshly calibrated refractometer. Occasionally the refractometer needed a slight adjustment to be accurate, but the hydrometers always have the exact same error rate as they did the very first time I tested them. Yet many people say hydrometers are junk. If it has finer resolution and/or costs more, it must be better...

Technically though, wouldn't those hydrometers then be considered inaccurate, but consistent?

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote