View Single Post
Unread 07/04/2017, 10:23 AM   #1
yahtayfam
Registered Member

Talking New to SW! Need advice on lighting!

I have been keeping freshwater aquariums for a long time but I have just made the switch to saltwater recently. I've done a TON of research about what I want to keep and I have decided that I MUST ABSOLUTELY have one of these beautiful tanks that I see in this forum. My goal is a SPS dominate mixed tank with lots of snails. I am not THAT interested in any fish TBH (I kept high(er) tech planted tanks and focused mostly on inverts and plants). I have a lot of questions that have been building up so I apologize in advanced for the long-winded post.

I have converted one of my 20 gallon longs into a saltwater QT tank that has just recently finished cycling. I also have an empty refurbished 75 gallon tank that had already been drilled in the bottom with an overflow attached. It came with a 30 gallon sump (which I will be remaking so look forward to another long post). After about a months worth of research, I am almost done acquiring the equipment to start cycling my 75 gallon display tank, but I have one HUGE component that I have not figured out yet: lighting.

I had planned on getting two Chinese black box LEDs and supplementing them with two to four 4' HO T5 bulbs. I want there to be enough lighting so that I can add any coral I want.

The dilemma is, after so much research, there is a lot of conflicting views on LED vs T5 vs MH or a combo of sorts. Now, I am unsure that my setup will be what I am looking for. I certainly don't want to use MH-- chillers, energy consumption and thermal output are too many factors for me to handle right now. Traditionally I have used ALL T5 HO, both for my hydroponics set up and the old FW setups I used to have. My concern with this is that I do not want to replace SO MANY T5 bulbs and was wanting to switch over to LEDs.

Do you more experienced reefers out there have any insights on my setup? I am really leaning towards these black box LED's after reading so many positive things about them, but am concerned about spectrum mixing, shadowing, and point light source which I think could be solved with a couple T5's. Please let me know if you think this would be adequate to keep an all acro tank happy if I so chose (assuming all other params are good) and how many T5s and where should they be placed? Should I do away with the LEDs and go for an all T5 setup? If so, how many T5s for a 48"x~18.5"x21" tank? I am not sold on an ALL LED setup BTW because IMO the cons are far too detrimental to be ignored and I am not willing to dish out the big bucks for the nicer LEDs because I am certain the technology will definitely progress and I'd rather save my money for the next big thing.

Thanks for reading this far and your insights are greatly appreciated!

yahtayfam is offline   Reply With Quote