View Single Post
Unread 01/12/2018, 06:38 PM   #18
Dugless
Registered Member

Every few years I research the progress LED lighting has made. Especially when it comes to replacing bulbs It is crazy to see how many different options are out there now and how much more polished the lighting fixtures are in comparison to even just 10 years ago. However, even with the fancy packaging and slick wizardry of functions, I decided on a T5 fixture. I still wasn't sold on LEDs for healthy Acro growth, and my plans for this tank are purely Acro driven.

When it comes to T5s, ATI seems to be the leader from all the research I did. To be honest, I had been eyeing a powermodule hybrid for the last few years, and decided to finally pull the trigger. I really like the simplicity of the fixture, the hanging cables, and the single cord. It really is a clean bit of kit.

Alongside 8 bulbs of T5 power, the unit comes with two banks of 75w LEDs with white, blue, and violet colors. These LEDs really do add the shimmer if you're into that kind of thing. I seem to be on an island in preferring a flatter look. I will use the LEDs for adding that extra 10% of color pop and for a gradual dusk/dawn setup. The programming isn't fancy, but I'm more of a set it and forget kind of guy. Stability is the key anyhow, right?

I did order the unit from Sewatec in Germany as the bigger online retailers in the states wouldn't order a white fixture for me, but I would never recommend them. The unit was delivered with bulbs installed and one broke in shipment and boogered up a reflector. Vacuuming the broken bits out wasn't fun. They also charged me for a hanging kit that wasn't included and packed the improper power supply cords for other items in my order. They were less than helpful and made me feel like I was trying to con them. I will avoid them in the future and suggest others to do so.

Dugless is offline   Reply With Quote