View Single Post
Unread 02/13/2018, 04:24 PM   #9594
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhickman17 View Post
Has anyone built an external overflow box approximately 24x10x7 out of 1/4" glass and used 1.5" flow through holes from internal to external and successfully had a silent overflow?

I'm conflicted as to whether or not to just run the pipes directly into the back of my tank with an internal box that has the elbows configured the way Bean initially demonstrated in his schematic, or building a low profile glass internal overflow, and an external overflow with 1/4" glass to handle the plumbing.

I like the external overflow box idea for the space saving, and the ability to reduce the number of bends and turns in the pipes due to less fittings. I don't like the idea of my external 1/4" box with 1" siphon and 2 1.5" emergencies A. Cracking/breaking during operation, or B. Falling off of the tank. I am going to use GE SCS1200 to build and adhere the boxes, but right now the external box is up in the air as I can't find thicker glass that won't cost me an arm, and a few people have mentioned the "flow-through" holes made noise in their setups in this thread.
I have not built one, no. However, my tank is set up with a external overflow that I used with Bean's design. My overflow has 5 holes working outside being 1" for returns and the middle three being the overflow at 1.5". I did the base plumbing at 1.5" but once I tried and create the Bean Animal design there was enough room using the 1.5" plumbing. It just wouldn't fit. Design flaw of my overflow with it not being the full width of the side of the tank / peninsula.

Anyway what I ended up doing is using the correct bulk head fitting of 1.5" and then reduce inside the overflow to 1" PVC pipe. Works fine and still moves more water than what I need. So I guess my point is measure the width of the overflow and go from there. I made a mistake by not having enough room. I was just throwing that out there in case you didn't.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg o8.jpg (45.3 KB, 45 views)

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote