View Single Post
Unread 02/21/2018, 11:47 PM   #3285
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

My tank is still chugging along, kind of in limbo. My re-do project is on hold for a few weeks. So I just observe the tank and think about what I want to do, and how I want to do it. At least I have plenty of time to think.

Just the other day I got the idea to alter the return from the main pump. Adjusting the height and/or angle would have a huge impact on the water movement. I remember not being super happy with the direction of seagrass' movement. Maybe I can fix that. I should fashion an adjustable return, so I could try out different heights and angles to see what works best. I also need to keep in mind the height of the manatee grass, which I don't have right now, but is taller and more affected by the current near the surface. I may need to wait for new manatee grass before attempting.

The only things I'm trying to bring over to the new version are the shoal grass, snails and worms, and maybe some macro and sponge fragments. I need to plan out what vessels will house what. And what can I do to make sure I don't transfer any of the nasties? Maybe a diluted bleach solution for the plants?

In-tank structural changes include:
Covering the left end of the tank with a fake wall, and adding foam to the top of the back, fake wall.
Lengthening the deep sand bed planter, allowing for more seagrass.
Lowering the overflow-turned-refugium, allowing a lower water level.
Altering, repairing and painting the fake root.

With the foam walls I'm hoping to get a dramatic overhang, shadowing the lower parts. It should look pretty cool. Right now the seagrass' bed extends half way across. I want it to approach two thirds across, giving the seagrass more dominance in the plant-scape. Dropping the water level a couple inches will more closely align with the hood overlap. Right now, the top two inches of water are obscured by it. I think the fake root could look less fake, with a better paint job.

If I'm able to make all the changes I want, I should end up with a tank I'm really happy with!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote