View Single Post
Unread 12/03/2017, 10:29 PM   #9553
Lsufan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McGahern View Post
Thanks again. I should have mentioned that my new tank was drilled for a Beananimal set up but through the bottom, so my overflow AND plumbing will both be internal. With this in mind wouldn't I be able to just drill into the top of the 90 of the open line without the use of the airline and fitting? Would this not work the same way with the hole serving the same purpose as the open end of the tube. If a blockage occurs in the first Siphon line then wouldn't the water rise, cover the hole and then turn the open line into a full siphon much the same way? I would assume the only reason a tube line is used is because of the plumbing being external.
The open channel (the one with the airline) isn’t supposed to syphon unless both the syphon & emergency get clogged. So it is basically the last line of defense on a flood. So the end of the airline is supposed to be above the emergency drain. Without the airline the hole would be below the emergency drain so it wouldn’t work like it is intended to.

U can try & run it without the airline first & see if u have any issues. One issue that can happen is on startup the open channel may syphon because the hole gets covered before the actual syphon line can purge the air for the syphon to kick in. If it does this then the open channel would kick in & out of syphon as the water rises & falls in the overflow & cause the syphon line not to get going.

One way I suppose U could get around using the airline is by using a tee for the standpipe & extend from the top of the tee to where the cap is close to the top of the overflow box & above the emergency. That way the hole would be above the emergency, but it would need to be close to the top of the overflow box

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote