View Single Post
Unread 02/04/2017, 02:46 PM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellsangelbx View Post
@slief you are the man!!! And I say that expressively because i follow the forums and your respondence is not grey area and allows us to hopefully in the future become a slief (I mean the respectiveley) in order to grow the hobby and help out other reefers as well. I got these models from aquarium specialty. I guess hey have an outdated model on their website still. Question have you ever had a lifereef skimmer?
Thanks for the kind words. I always enjoy helping others and sharing my experiences. I had a feeling that's were you were seeing those models.

I have not had a LifeReef myself but I know people who use them and know they make great products and their skimmer design is timeless. That said, at the heart of every great skimmer is it's pump. If you were to go with a LifeReef skimmer, I would suggest not skimping on the pump. Noise, efficiency, heat transfer and long term reliability would all be things that I would take into consideration if I were going that route. Obviously, I am a Bubble King guy. I was long before I got involved with Royal Exclusiv's US support so my choosing of a Bubble King had nothing to do with my present affiliation with Royal Exclusiv. My choice wasn't just because they had a beautiful skimmer design but also because the Red Dragon pumps have always been considered the best skimmmer pumps ever made and the RD3's are no exception.

I've always been unbiased when it comes to good quality products. Especially those backed with great support. For those that can't or don't want to afford a Bubble King, LifeReef has been one of the few other brands I recommend to people. While I love my Bubble Kings and wouldn't change due to their quality and performance, the LifeReef skimmers work well and their cost is pretty good though a good pump can add significantly to the cost. Especially if you want the ability to fine tune the skimmer via the pump which is something that make the RD3 based skimmers stand out among any of the other skimmers on the market. The ability to fine tune in very small increments is something that no other skimmer pump on the market offers.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote