View Single Post
Unread 01/03/2013, 09:12 AM   #8
iced98lx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkd5024 View Post
I am currently building a similar project but using the arduino. It will be interesting to see which way you go with hardware/software.

As was recommended to me, the etape liquid level sensor isn't the best thing to use for aquariums. I bought one and tested it out and quickly realized that it is quite sensitive to any movement or twisting/bending of the sensor. It was recommended I try out a pressure sensor. It only cost $14 and after some testing I've done it seems to be a lot more consistent in its readings. Heres a link if your interested. http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...GC7U-ND/951844
Thanks! I've looked over the pressure sensors and other means of measuring depth as well. I've discussed the use with the manufacturer and they agree that if you are able to mount the eTape in a situation where it's not on a flexible surface and not being moved it is ideal (and accurate) and easy to calibrate for this situation. If for some reason it doesn't work out I'll likely end up with the pressure sensor to measure depth. I don't want to end up with a series of floats, is my main requirement. I want to know how much water, not that it's deeper than X but shallower than X.

Appreciate the input!!

iced98lx is offline   Reply With Quote