Thread: Weeds
View Single Post
Unread 11/12/2019, 10:35 AM   #1151
lifeoffaith
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Thanks for following, lifeoffaith!

I'm curious about your reasoning for abandoning weeds for sticks. No judgement, just curious. Would you care to share?

Reefing has a much better road map for success, than weed-keeping. By now, the important numbers to hit for corals are well known, as well as which devices are needed to hit them. So, I would think it would feel less daunting and mysterious to follow those well-worn steps.

For marine plant growers, there is a lot of conflicting information, and many of the methods and techniques fly in the face of conventional wisdom. I can see how some might shy away from such uncertainty.
I think part of it is similar to what you discovered in V1, that sticking to a specific region was more difficult than expected. I also had my new fish all dissapear, I suspect due to the arrow crab that was in the tank. He eventually died, and my other tanks were "out of sight, out of mind" and were being neglected. I had two fish that I wanted to put into this tank and they didn't fit with my plan to stick to Carribean species, so that kind of forced me out of the box. Also, I do really miss a decent coral set up which I haven't had for a while, so I decided to just change up my approach a bit and go back to corals.

All that said, I'm doing some very early preliminary planning for a frogfish tank, so I will likely go back to some sort of macroalgae/sponge tank in the new setup alongside my coral tank. You may remember that was my original plan for the macroalgae tank, and that got put on a back burner for a bit.

lifeoffaith is offline   Reply With Quote