View Single Post
Unread 04/20/2014, 12:26 PM   #1802
kalgra
Registered Member

Ive been running my BK 160 on my 60g tank/20g sump for about 5 months. This is all the skimmate I am pulling each week id say approx a cups worth. Its dark tea to light coffee colored and smells really bad like rotten eggs much worse than other skimmate I have experienced.

Given my bioload of 6 BTAs, 3 green chromis, two clowns, a large starry blenny, a large yellow tang, a mandarin and an assortment of shrimp and other inverts I feel like I should be getting more. The folks here are the experts so im hoping someone can tell me if this seems about right or if maybe I need to do some more tweaking.

I clean the cup and the neck every Sunday, this does seem to improve performance a bit. I have it submerged to in exactly 20cm cm which is what the instructions say is ideal. I don't however use the grease on the cup that is mentioned in the instructions because to be honest Id never really heard of that before and I felt the instruction were a bit unclear on what type of grease is to be used and exactly where. I have my water level adjustment set at a little over 3/4 the max of what the adjustment allows.

Any thoughts?

kalgra is offline   Reply With Quote