Thread: Weeds
View Single Post
Unread 06/23/2019, 11:32 PM   #962
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I'm kind of worried about my Manatee grasses. They were doing so well before, putting out new runners and blades, in a burst of life. Then, for the last month or so, they've been yellowing and dying back. It's very odd that they would do so well, then suddenly die back. I must have done something to upset them. I think it may be the dosing. I can't think of anything else I've done lately that would cause it. I'm going to back off on dosing for awhile. They shouldn't need it anyway, with the dirty sand bed. In nature they favor low-nutrient conditions, outcompeting macros, which like higher nutrients.

This weekend I did an algae export and water change. I noticed the salinity had drifted down some, so I got it back up to MG's favored salinity of 25-27 ppt. Maybe it didn't like higher nutrients combined with lower salinity. In v1, I killed my Manatee grass with hypo salinity.

The macros are doing well. I really hit the jackpot with my live rock. I counted at least eight plant species growing out of it that I'm excited to have. Also, I've had a burst of growth in the Shoal grasses. I planted most of them in the front, since they aren't as tall as Manatee Grass. One of the nuisance macros, I'll call Black Grasilaria has really taken off, unfortunately. They're like aiptasias - for every one you kill, ten more pop up its place. I may have to find a fish that eats it.

Overall, things are good. I'm just a bit bummed with the Manatee Grass. Hopefully I'll get it figured out. I suspect I may have been too heavy-handed with my 'assistance' and Nature is telling me to get out of the way…

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote