View Single Post
Unread 02/13/2006, 06:34 PM   #210
melev
Moved On

You should go waste some time on my site to get a better feeling for what you are about to do, once you're done reading here on RC. It's always better to read first before doing the work, so you'll have better success.

I use 1/4" extruded acrylic with Weld-On #4, and do my best to keep the seams as bubble free as possible. Each bubble is a spot that is not bonded, and a potentially weak area. Try to avoid these if you can, not for beauty but for security that your sump won't fail.

That being said, the first and second sump I built were made with 1/8" acrylic and Weld-On #16, and both held for 1.5 years. I replaced them with better sumps as I got more experienced working with the acrylic.

If you have a bad spot, you can use some #16 to fill in that area. I suggest getting a few nozzles at a hobby shop to put on the end of the #16 tube, to get better control and to push out a finer bead. #16 tends to shrink 33% as it cures, and can create air pockets as well as melt acrylic around it, so try to keep it down to a fine fillet if you can. It is a messier glue, that can be rather stringy.

Practice on some scrap pieces first, to get an idea of what you are dealing with. And ask questions here, because several people are subscribed and will chime in with answers.

melev is offline   Reply With Quote