View Single Post
Unread 03/26/2012, 07:13 PM   #1
EddieJ
Premium Member

One Bad Choice... and now I have to pay the piper

My first 5 years in the hobby have been great, I read and researched till I had a fairly decent base of knowledge to move forward. I started a QT regimen from day 1 in this hobby, and have kept my 90 gallon tank ICH free for 4 and a half years. Now with my 210, things are going real well except for my Percula clown going rogue on and getting violent with my Flame Wrasse. Anyhow, I had been looking for a pair of Blue Throat triggers when they came available from a local reefer. I head over to his place to pick them up. His tank is pretty heavily stocked and the fish look pretty healthy. I notice his Powder Blue looks good and healthy as well. Now the moment of indiscretion strikes. For some unexplained reason, I decide these triggers should be fine to place right in my tank. Now I am not an impatient person, so the decision wasn't driven by that. So I make the fatal error. And of course, about 2 days later I notice what could be Ich on the male trigger. At first I think I am being paranoid and it could be something else I am seeing. Then I see him asking my Coral Banded for a cleaning. Well, my CBS is not in that business at all. About 2 weeks later, I see my Hippo lining up for the cleaning station. At first, I think she is just doing monkey see monkey do as she has never done that before. Well, upon further investigation I see the spots... FML..

So, at this time I have a big ol QT setup in the basement in which I will do a Hypo Salinity treatment on the fish. During this time I will leave my 210 fallow for 10 weeks. Today I captured 4 of my fish with a trap. First one caught? My Flame Wrasse, he is just so trusting.. I also got both the Triggers and a Cromis. That leaves 3 fish in the tank, my Hippo, a cromis, and the one I think will be real tough to get out which is my Yellow Tang. The Yellow tang is very suspicious of anything different in the tank. I hope I can get the 3 out tomorrow. My QT in the basement is a 100 gallon rubbermaid tank. I have it setup with 2 foam filters running of an air pump. I have a PH monitor and a ATO on the tank as well. I will also have carbon running. I have read over all the info I could fine about Hypo and feel confident I can pull it off.

Guess this post is more of a vent, as I am just so mad at myself for making such a stupid error. I know WAY better!!!! I will post some pics of my setup and keep this post updated as a log of how things are going.

Hoping all goes as planned...

EddieJ is offline   Reply With Quote