View Single Post
Unread 01/22/2017, 09:28 AM   #213
Aquamechanic
Registered Member

Quote:
Cleaning the tank might put a lot of organics into the water column, or interfere with the filtration, depending on what exactly is done. A temporary slime outbreak would be a reasonable possibility, but it should be gone fairly quickly.
Not exactly what I meant by 'Cleaning'

I was referring to purging the tank of it's high nutrient level(s) - specifically PO4 with the use of GFO over a 4 month period. Not vacuuming the substrate and a water change. That is routine.

The Theory

Why does one tank get it but not another in the same house/ office?

Tank#1
High Po4 and/ or NO3 + Environmental Ongoing Carbon Source =
PO4 & NO3 levels that are slightly lower or maintained over time
This does not produce slime if dose does not exceed available nutrients (food) so hobbyist sees no problem. Hobbyist is blissfully unaware that the aquarium is being auto-dosed. Life goes on.

Tank#2
In ultra low nutrient tank:
NO3 & PO4 near or at zero PPM + Environmental Ongoing Carbon Source =
Surge in bacteria from carbon source -> nothing to consume -> bacteria dies and consumes oxygen -> more bacteria form up due to more carbon dosing -> SLIME
Hobbyist notices slime forming in high flow, oxygen rich areas of sump and tank.

Course, the elephant in the room for hobbyists that are still chasing an answer is ...
'What is my source of carbon rick organic that is supplying the food and in turn, the insane bacterial bloom I cant wash away?'

While this theory isn't likely to solve the problem for all, your source may be different but the equation will be similar.

Don't flush him. He may just be sleeping ...

Aquamechanic is offline   Reply With Quote