Thread: Weeds
View Single Post
Unread 09/19/2019, 11:20 PM   #1071
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I removed some brown grasilaria from the back wall, as it was already sloughing off. It continues to die back.

I finally figured out a good planting technique for seagrass on long rhizomes with multiple shoots. I'd never been able to get the whole rhizome buried, leaving roots exposed. So, you place the rhizome on the sand where you want it, then position three or four finger tips along its length. Then slowly move it back and forth lengthwise, while gently pressing it down into the sand. Remove your fingers and push a little sand over it and you're done.

This new planting skill should come in handy when I get some new manatee grass. SaltySully is getting me some new grass to replace the ones that died and fill in the large gap they left. Thanks Stephen!

I'll try to take better care of them this time. It's embarrassing to kill off most of your pivotal species. Ugh! At least I figured out my mistake and corrected it. The remaining manatee grass plants are doing well. Another learning experience!

By the way, my mistake was to let salinity drift too low. It looks like 25ppt is the lower range for them. I now have it at 30ppt-much closer to full strength seawater. My original research told me 25 was optimal. After more research, it looks more like 30. I think it survives in 25ppt water, where it doesn't have to compete with turtle grass, but 30ish is more optimal.

I'm very excited and privileged to get more of these plants!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote