View Single Post
Unread 06/27/2017, 07:50 PM   #2932
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewestfall View Post
Ok needs some advive. I have a bk sm300 skimmer. Just set up a new 400 gallon system. Has live rock and sand so far. No coral or fish yet. Transferring from old system soon. Ive had the skimmer running for 4 days now and cannot get it to stop overflowing. Ive tried every scenario with both adjustments. The air tube and the adjuster that screws into the pump. Ive tried from 7 to 9 inches for the water level in sump. Any advice on what else to try?
I am assuming this was a skimmer you bought used or had on a previous system? Does it have the two pumps? Master and smaller slave? Are they original red dragon pumps? For the dual pump version, I would start between 7-8". The adjustable nozzle on the pumps is likely going to be key. The more you open them, the lower the water level should be in the skimmer. I would try different extremes. Start at 1.5 turns out and then go to 5 full turns and see what it does. I would also double check the venturi ports where the silicone air tubes connect to the pump. If salt or other stuff blocks the venturi port, that will cause overflows. If you bought this skimmer used or have had it a long time, you might also want to take the silencer apart and clean the foam in the silencer and make sure there is nothing obstructing the air connections inside the silencer. Also, you will want the ozone tubes connected to the pumps on that skimmer so they can pull air.

Lastly, it could be something in your water. If so, it might be one of those scenarios that you should just connect a 5 gallon bucket to the skimmer and let it overflow into the bucket. That will allow the skimmer to drive what ever is in the water out of the system. If this live rock was uncared, then there will be a lot of organics that will be perishing in the rock which could cause a skimmer to go crazy.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote