View Single Post
Unread 05/10/2009, 10:32 AM   #65
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xJake
First of all, I don't appreciate the "kiddo" comment. I was, in no way, personally attacking anyone, and I don't appreciate being met with such a hostile response.

I didn't consider medications, but I suppose you are correct. If fish are able to absorb medications, than it can safely be said that they do in fact absorb some elements from the water. I mean, they basically are respiring w/e is present in their environment through their gills. These uptake rates, as demonstrated by the source you posted, are widely unknown. So, I still don't seen any need to be dosing trace elements as long as relatively regular water changes are performed with a quality salt mix, and proper diet is maintained.

It's a bit like the idea of humans taking a multi-vitamin. You shouldn't have to as long as you maintain a proper diet, that is, do what your body requires for proper health.

I wasn't trying to state that simply because "I hadn't heard of it" it must be wrong. I was trying to say that he was making claims without a shred of evidence to back up his "facts." Anyone would be skeptical, especially someone like me with a background in scientific research.
Thanks for continuing to post here Jake--I for one appreciate your expertise and welcome it with an open mind--which I am sure you will find with the majority of the reefers here.

I look at vitamins---as the anti ingnorance pills----I feel I still have a lot to learn about fish nutrition---and until I feel very confident then I will add vitamens to ensure I am meeting all their needs.

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote