View Single Post
Unread 08/11/2017, 09:37 PM   #6
Lsufan
Registered Member

I would move the animals if that is a option. Without knowing the size of the bead u will use it is hard to say how long it will take to fully cure, but I would go a minimum of 5 days but preferably 7 to 10 days. The type of silicone,bead size, temp & humidity all affect the cure time. So determining a exact cure time is difficult. Silicone is very toxic if it isn't fully cured so to me it is better to be safe then sorry.

Remember what der willie mentioned about the cure time on the label. Most of the labels on silicone state the cure time for a 1/8" bead. So if it says it cures in 48 hrs & u see a 1/4" bead then that would be a minimum of 4 days. I would always at the very least add a day or two to how long u figure it will take.

The acetoxy cure silicone that mcgyver mentioned cures a little faster & may not be quite as toxin as neutral cure silicone, but they are both toxic if they aren't fully cured. GE 1 is a acetoxy silicone so being u are on a time limit it may be a good option.

It is going to take a nice sized bead to silicone a acrylic box to a glass tank. Silicone doesn't adhere to acrylic good at all, so u will essentially be wedging the box in place with silicone. That will take a decent sized bead, so I would plan on atleast 5 to 10 days depending how big of a bead it ends up being

Last edited by Lsufan; 08/11/2017 at 09:50 PM.
Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote