View Single Post
Unread 09/25/2018, 04:14 AM   #18
homer1475
Registered Member

And yet in the scrubber thread when asked specifically about these lights, you and floyd recommended them for DIY scrubbers...Even telling people they should buy them larger then whats needed and to run them on timers so they wont burn the algae off the screen. I will say you and floyd do give the warning that even though they are IP65 rated, they are not waterproof and should not be immersed.

With an IP65 rating, they should be absolutely fine for a scrubber application where they are not immersed in water but subjected only to mild moisture which it should be able to fend off and not short out causing the catastrophic event such as electrocuting someone standing near the tank. Besides, if you have a pool of water in front of your stand, you have bigger problems then some light which may not be grounded properly. And if you DIY anything electrical in this hobby and you read enough, anything electrical should be on a GFCI to prevent the catastrophic event you describe.

Wonder where I got the idea to use them in my DIY scrubber from? Oh yea you and floyd in the scrubber thread.......

And now your trying to tell us not to use them because of safety concerns? While I appreciate your efforts and help in the scrubber thread, I just see this as a way to get people to buy your "safer" product.

Sorry SM but most of us just see this thread as you shilling your own product in the general forums in a thin veiled safety measures thread.

EDIT:
After rereading the thread and your posts, I see your fine with DIY people using these light as we assume the responsibility of using them. What your having problems with is manufacturers mass marketing/mass producing their scrubbers equipped with these lights and people having no idea how dangerous they actually are.

Question to you though, with an IP65 rating, unless they are dropped into the water, they should be fine? If they are grounded properly with a third prong on the plug which in my case the ones I bought are grounded properly and plugged into a GFCI outlet, they should be perfectly fine to use?

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"

Last edited by homer1475; 09/25/2018 at 04:27 AM.
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote