View Single Post
Unread 03/21/2012, 07:28 PM   #345
Thales
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MammothReefer View Post
Simply adding more rock from the start, letter the tank cycle and taking things slow as every body suggested and he could have avoided this whole situation. He would have had a much more stable system which would have made such drastic measures unnecessary.
I don't think it matters how much rock is in the tank, you drop in a ton of edible carbon and weird stuff is going to happen. This was not a failure of methodology, it was a mistake. As we all know, regardless of how robust a system in, the single biggest point of failure is the person taking care of the system.

I have a lot of rock in my home display, and I did essentially the exact same thing Galleon did, a dumb kalk overdose...twice actually, but a different way each time. Hmm, maybe three times. A different dumb mistake every time.

One time I attacked it almost the same way Galleon did, vinegar to drop the pH. But instead of one 100% water change, I did several over the frist few days after the overdose which how I avoided any kind of bloom. Tank is full of live rock. Lousy with it.

Here is an article on one overdose time:
http://www.reefsmagazine.com/showthr...rint&type=html

Here is the blog about the second time where I used CO2 instead of vinegar:
http://www.reefs.com/blog/2011/05/19...sy-to-be-dumb/

No bloom at all with the CO2. If Galleon had CO2 laying around I am sure he would have used it. As it is, I think its way cool that his tank went green pea soup. Never seen that before.

Now that the problem has been resolved, I would pull the UV, but that's me.

Current Tank Info: 150 mixed reef with a 180 remote sump • 250 gallon fish breeding system • 200 gallon cephalopod breeding system • 212,000 gallon reef tank at work
Thales is offline   Reply With Quote