View Single Post
Unread 04/01/2009, 09:58 AM   #582
ReefEnabler
Premium Member

It is interesting but will probably be a while before we see those in use by hobbyists.

I finally last night finished wiring up one of my LED arrays with ~28v on a buckpuck (5 royalblue Luxeon3s, 1 green endor triemitter).

Looked pretty darn bright and the color was what I was hoping for. (a nice 15k with tons of actinic and some green). Now I have to finish putting my buckpucks and associated wiring into the hobby box, and start wiring the other 3 arrays.

I'll get some pics soon when I have time.

quick question though: I'm having a hard time getting excess solder off of my soldering iron tip after I tin it for cleaning. I wype it on the moist sponge thats part of my helping-hands, but the solder likes to cling to whatever part of the tip touched the sponge last..... I've been having to hold the sponge in my hand and fold it over the tip to get the solder off.

I know that's not the safest way, so what am I doing wrong that's making it so hard to clean off excess solder? Using a cheap 30w iron and rosin-core solder from radio shack...

Soldering the regular luxeonstars is pretty easy. The Endor rebel tri-emitters are a bit more difficult because the contacts are about 1/2 sized. I think smaller wire like 20 or 22gauge would be alot easier there.

"that is enough skimmate to ruin lives." - GSMguy

Current Tank Info: 220g Display, 70g sump, 35g frag, 50g fuge, 2x250w MH, 1x400w MH, 2x80w T5, 2x140w VHO Actinic