View Single Post
Unread 04/02/2009, 11:25 AM   #597
ReefEnabler
Premium Member

Driving in parallel has been discussed many times in this thread... the more experienced guys are recommending against it since if one LED in one of the series goes, it will end up redirecting current into the other series which will overdrive them and burn them up. It's possible to use more electronics and carefully design a system to safeguard against this, but the general consensus is that its easier/safer/cheaper to simply wire things in series and get LEDs that are matched to the drivers.

I'm sure some of these experienced people will chime in. I learned most of this from this very thread so perhaps I'm not the best one to be telling you, but maybe at least I can convince you to hold off for a bit and get more information first.

I think its a shame they dont make the Xitanium drivers in lower current, higher voltage configurations (like a 32v 700ma for example, instead its 12w 700ma).

"that is enough skimmate to ruin lives." - GSMguy

Current Tank Info: 220g Display, 70g sump, 35g frag, 50g fuge, 2x250w MH, 1x400w MH, 2x80w T5, 2x140w VHO Actinic