View Single Post
Unread 09/17/2017, 12:37 PM   #8
Jyetman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Depending on the size of your chiller, 10-12 amps is not unrealistic for running current. My 1/2HP chiller pulled 11 amps while running and I am sure the startup current was upwards of 15 amps. If your chiller is pulling 11 amps, that is too much for any one outlet on the EB8 and you are at risk of damaging the Energy Bar. The max current for an EB8 is 10 amps and that is only on outlets 4 & 8. The EB4 has an outlet that will support 12A. My suggestion would be to get a Kill-A-Watt meter and verify the current draw of the chiller to be on the safe side. If it reads much different than the EB8's amp draw, then re calibrate the EB8's current settings..

The best way to control a high current chiller or other high current devices safely with the Apex is by using something like a Furman CN-20MP. The device plugs directly into a wall outlet and is controlled by a 12v input. You would use an 12v AC adapter on the Apex to switch the Furmans 20amp outlets on and off. They aren't cheap but it's about the best solution for this. Once upon a time, Neptune Systems offered a 15a socket expansion box but that has long since been discontinued as it was designed for the original Aqua Controllers.

Here is the CN-20MP. You can find them on eBay for under $200.
http://www.furmancontractor.com/cn-20mp.php
The chiller is a Arctica 1/3 HP witch pulls 7 amps. Its been plugged to relay socket on the EB8 for about 3 years now until recently noticed that 3 plug adapter started to smell like burning plastic took couple days to find it. Plugged to the same Eb8 is a 8 Watt BM Nac3.5 skimmer which turns off while chiller is running, 50 Watts for scrubber pumps, 150 Watt Little Giant 4 mdq-sc, 15 watt uv and several cooling fans that are programmed to OSC every 10 seconds to keep the scrubber leds cool. The AMP1 shows 3.8 - 4.1 Amps with chiller off and with chiller running it mainly stays on 10.4 but every minute or so hits 11 or 12 Amps. Would you still suggest a EB4 to run this chiller?

Jyetman is offline   Reply With Quote