View Single Post
Unread 08/07/2008, 10:34 AM   #21
gogatsbj
Registered Member

Here is the worst thing that has happened to me with my AC3. I have all the over protective statements as mentioned....but a human in the loop can always screw things up...

The heater was on and someone went into my basement to get a bottle of Rum and accidentally pulled out a DC4 plug...unfortunately this was the first DC in a line of many and with no power when the AC3 tried to the heater, plugged into a separate DC8 to shut off it could not...well the tank went up to 88 before I realized the lights had not come back on in the morning and went down to the basement to figure out what was going on..i was very confused as everything was still running until i noticed the heater was in off mode on the AC3 but was still emitting heat and my Refugium powerhead and salt storage pump were off and traced it back to the DC4 being unplugged, well I plugged in an bam, everything started working, lights turned on, which I turned off to keep the heat down as my sump fans worked there asses off to cool the temp down 9 degrees....anyway moral of the story is that a human in the loop can always break good equipment, by the way the alarm did not sound because it was plugged into the same DC8 as the heater and the AC3 could not talk to the DC8. I have the AC3 set up to email my pager now....everything survived and looks good (actually all my soft corals open a lot more know strangely enough) I took temp readings by three different means and determined my AC3 was off by about 5.5 degrees so the tank was running around 75ish when i though it was running around 80. With that fixed the tank is actually in better looking condition than ever.

gogatsbj is offline   Reply With Quote