Thread: Storing Water
View Single Post
Unread 02/08/2018, 04:49 PM   #3
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaleKlocoon View Post
I'm brand new to the hobby, I just bought a used 90 gallon tank from craigslist. Looking into buying an RO/DI unit and I have some questions about storing the water. I'm store the unit in the attic or something when I'm not using it. I'd like to make 55 gallons at once and store it until I run out. Looking into buying a 55 gallon drum that seals, and a bunch of 5 gallon buckets with lids. How long can I store the mixed saltwater in my garage? If it is in the shade in the garage, what could go wrong? If storing the saltwater is not an option, I assume I could store the RO/DI indefinitely and just mix salt 24 hours before I need to use the water? What if I ever have to do an emergency water change? It seems like if it doesn't go bad in a sealed container in the shade, having plenty of saltwater on hand ready to go would be a good idea.
I keep 100 gallons of saltwater in a 100g container at all times. I have a pump on a timer that mixes it for 1hr 2x per day. When I don't keep up on my water changes, it will stay there for a month. Never had any issues.

Current Tank Info: Me v Dinos - I'm winning for now...
Zalick is offline   Reply With Quote