View Single Post
Unread 11/15/2009, 02:50 PM   #17
john68camaro
Registered Member

I got them from Home Depot. They are the only place I have been able to find the T5 Shop lights. They are decently priced. They have single bulb units and double bulb units. Kind of wish I went with the single bulb units to cut down on algae cleaning.

I did add another set of my clowns onto my system. They seem to be doing good. My Temps went from 82 in my setup to 80 with this tanks addition. I mostly have the heat at 82 to get the Adult clowns I have on the system to breed. Once I get another home for my Adults,
i will keep this at 78-80. I have been working on a small 30 gallon breeder with a 30 gallon sump as a broodstock setup. I have it divided into three sections with individuals drains into the sump. I am using a design I was originally going to do a small clownfish growout system with. I am filling it with water today and doing a third leak test before adding salt and substrate.

Now the bad......... I hatched a set of clowns a few days ago. I bought a brandnew heater to use for this set of fry. About an hour after putting the new heater in the fry tank, I started smelling a plastic burning smell in the house. I am searching everywhere and finally discovered it to be my new heater. Water very hot. I got to it in time to see the end of the heater blowoff in the water. Horrible plastic burning smell in the tank. Thought the fry may survive, but they all were dead by the next morning. So that was my Friday the 13'th thing. I should have realized something would go wrong when the lady at the store empathized the part about keeping my reciept in case the heater had an issue.. First exploding heater I bought. The other bad part is the tank I used for this set of fry will not be able to be used again. No matter how many times I wash it out, I can still smell the burnt plastic smell in it. Last thing I want to do is poisen more of my fry.

Also the heater in my second youngest Fry tank died as well. Didnt notice this until yesterday morning. Water down to 70 and they were swimming funny. Fixed that with another new heater and they seem to doing ok. I think they should make it..

New pictures of the setup and one of my new broodstock setup. Somewhat small but will hold the pairs I need it to hold. Also can be dubed as a small growout system for those of you that dont want to setup something bug and expensive. Most of it was pretty cheap as I got excellent deals on used things over the last few months that I had been collecting.

john68camaro is offline   Reply With Quote