View Single Post
Unread 01/25/2008, 05:16 PM   #9
lakee911
Registered Member

Hey all,
Thanks for the responses. I actually get to correct BeanAnimal (first and only time too)! I think you're describing a wireway, not a cable tray. I don't want to use one. I don't think I have much room for one.

I'll put the TVSS on its own breaker. No problem there. My SquareD rep gave me one of their units. I can not remember the model SPD or something like that. I'll use it. Liebert is a good brand. I've got one of their UPSes.

My box is surface mount, but its so close to the ceiling that it seems silly to put in half a dozen 6" stub ups to the ceiling. Besides, I'd be derating the cables. Let me show you a picture of the existing mess.

(It might be a mess, and not up to code, but nothing actually gets hot in there. I've turned on all the loads that I can and the main does not trip, nor do any of the busses get hot.)

Unfortunately the ceiling is not visible, but it's 6-8" below the ceiling joists. Should I use a single knockout with a romex cable clamp? Can I put say lots of wires into a 2" romex clamp?

I've actually had pretty good luck with the powerloads on my block. I don't fire them into the cores, but on the partitions. They're odd three (as opposed to two) core blocks, and the cores are small and they're thicker than regular block too. Old house 1923.

I have a plywood backerboard under my telephone/cable/networking equipment and it makes mounting easy. I assumed I should do the same for this. I see it like that a lot of times. Should I mount directly to the masonary then? Do I need to put 1" standoffs on the wall?

I am replacing the whole box. I'm using a box with a 200A bus and a 100A main. This summer I'll be relocating the outside aerial feed underground and upgrading the meter to 200A. I want to get this out of the way now because I have the time and just for piece of mind. Besides, I can do this for a day now because I can run furance from generator, but not A/C later.

I don't want to use the existing box for a junction box because I just want one neat clean box on the wall. I want to get rid of that existing 1x6 backboard too.

Thanks,
Jason

lakee911 is offline   Reply With Quote