Thread: Weeds
View Single Post
Unread 04/03/2019, 05:57 PM   #782
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I've got good news and bad news…Starting with the bad:

I saw more death spiral distress in another blenny, the other day. It disappeared, presumed dead. Now I'm down to two. I really hope to keep them. If I don't, I guess I'm done with Barnacle Blennies. Bummer.

The good news is I'm seeing some actual growth in the red macros, finally. Also, today I just noticed that I have a few new reds popping out of the live rock. They're very small at this point, so tough to ID. If I had to guess right now I'd say Botryocladia and Halymenia - two plants I've had little luck with, in the past. I removed a lot of Ulva from the sand bed recently, and it looks like the Codium that was hidden among them may be bouncing back as well.

In undesirable algae news, there's more good news: not much Dinoflagellates to speak of lately. What little there is left seems to only grow on the grasses. With all my system troubles, I haven't had the energy to clean them. Today I noticed a lot of them are clean, and my mini Stombus snails are doing the work for me. YAY! I guess with little algae elsewhere, they're finally finding the buffet. Yet another example of getting out of Nature's way, and she steps in and takes over.

I can imagine two snails talking: "Look at that poor putz, hand-cleaning every seagrass blade. Doesn't he know we eat that stuff?"

I've got so much more to learn…

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote