View Single Post
Unread 05/22/2017, 12:42 PM   #2595
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Yep, I totally am with you. To me it's all about personality to entertain me, and blennies fit that persona perfectly. Now, I like colorful fish too, but they still need personality (eg. angels), but for my tank, I doubt that I'll encounter any. Spotfin butterflyfish are possible though.

As far as tropical species go, basslets, dottybacks, angels, puffers, triggers, wrasses and hawks all have tons of personality, but getting the right compatibility combination isn't always easy. Many of those fish are quite colorful. Still, after owning many of those, blennies are my favorite. They're weird and comical, and I'm weird, so there ya go!

My tank will have most likely one or perhaps two species of blennies, but there could be a third if I'm really lucky:
  • Chasmodes bosquianus - the striped blenny
  • Hypsoblennius hentz - the feather blenny (if I'm lucky)
  • Hypleurochilus geminatus - Crested blenny (if I'm really lucky)

There are a couple species of gobies, but only one is common in shallow water, but it's possible that I could end up with more than one. And of course, another personality is the skilletfish.

That's about it with regard to variety.

On a side note, I had about an hour to collect this past weekend to check out a spot that I have access to. I was a bit disappointed because there isn't much cover there, pretty much just pilings and a muddy bottom. I caught some killifish, silversides and one tiny goby (I think it was a juvenile naked goby). But, at least I got the net wet!

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote