View Single Post
Unread 07/11/2004, 11:40 AM   #4
cephalopoder
Premium Member

If you can try to get a round tank. One problem with cuttles and squid is they get butt burn from crashing into the end of the tank. A round tank keeps this from happening as much. The aerator could also cause micro bubbles to get trapped in the squids body causing boyancy problems as well. But you will still need to provide oxygen.
You could super charge the water with oxygen in the holding tank before you put the squid in. That should not be a problem for such small squid in a 5 gallon bucket on a 20 minute ride home.
When I go catch zoo plankton in the ocean at night I often catch american elvers in my net. Like squid, they are delicate and often die on the ride home fom handleing and shock mostly. I don't go out of my way to save them because I am more focused on the isopods and amphipods I catch to worry about a few baby eels.
I would limit as much as you can the number of squid in each contaner. Maybe one small 1" squid per a bucket and and make sure you have some sutible live food home to offer them. Squid are nervous and have a heary appetite so on hand food are a must.
I would say if you can keep baby squid for more than a week, you are doing excellent for starters.
chris